Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Blasts from the pasts!











A bit of a break from the usual posts here. A wee bit of news and some pics of my work. I've been carving in preparation of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August - it appears that the art gallery are not beginning their extension yet so I should squeeze another festival out of it - which is kind of embarrassing in a way, as that's three years on the trot in which the rumour has been flying and I've been telling people I won't be there next year!  Oh well, fingers crossed... but it might be the last (I'm learning to never say 'never'). 

Most of you know that I operate this business on a small scale - I usually do the Festival and head off to sunnier climes. Should the Festival become less of a viable option in the future I may spread my wings and try other locations in the summer season. So if anybody out there is reading this and knows of Celtic/Medieval festivals - anywhere -  please leave a comment and let me know about them. I like the idea of taking the stones on the road. 

So, that's enough news, now a few pictures of my work. I've been meaning to post some recent work but I'm currently experiencing technical issues so here's some oldies. All the following are long gone but please feel free to share the pics and cite my site, so to speak. 

This first sequence of pictures feature a selection of designs that are not traditional. These are my own creations and therefore very rare indeed. Using stone from the Solway coast as the base stone I carefully scribed around the insets and then used diamond gouging tools to dig into the base, creating an inset into which the coloured stone was set with jewellers' glue. The process was very time consuming and difficult. If I have time I would like to create a couple for the Fringe Festival this year. 

















Sometimes I shape the stones. Again this is quite laborious and you need to concentrate when filing or grinding down the stone to achieve a smooth edge.  The first was a commission for a girl in Edinburgh, it's a whales tale.  













Below is a Pictish design that I found in some old book somewhere.   I tend to go for the obscurer designs, it is often the overlooked pieces that hold more interest. 






Saying that, this is a famous Pictish Boar design and true to the original it is incised, i.e. the lines are 'cut into' the stone, rather than the relief work I normally practise.






And sometimes I don't even carve stone at all. Bone Mad this one! It's a seal's rib that I found during a sojourn in South Africa. 




And finally one of my Green Men.



No comments:

Post a Comment